Oregon-headerPortland, OR

Formerly known as Associated Chemists, Walker Emulsions Portland Oregon location was founded in 1929. The company originally operated as a packager of products aimed at the consumer market. Rail cars of ammonia, bulk cleaners, and fabric softeners were packaged for sale at local retail outlets and for West Coast distribution. During the early years of the company, a line of janitorial supplies was developed. At one point, only Associated Chemists’ floor cleaning products were used in the Oregon State Capitol in Salem.

Purchased by a Portland family in 1949, ACI operated as a privately held blending and packaging company for the next 47 years. During this period, the first chemists were hired to develop products in order to expand the capability and versatility of the company. The early owners were pioneers in the development of environmentally responsible alternatives to many of the harsh chemicals used in the industry at the time, a philosophy that continues today. Water based and dioxin free defoamer products for the Pulp and Paper industry were readily accepted into mills in the Northwest.

ACI expanded the janitorial line of products and distributed through commercial supply outlets. During the early 1980s the first wafer board (now called Oriented Strand Board) was developed. A visionary member of management introduced the first Edge Seal to the board makers, and the catalyst for substantial growth was born.

A second manufacturing site was added in 1993. The Orangeburg, South Carolina manufacturing facility eventually was manufacturing 500,000 gallons per month of finished product as one of the largest facilities of its kind.

In 1996, Associated Chemists was acquired by an Oregon based Fortune 500 building materials company as part of a diversification strategy. A change in that strategy led to the buyout of the company by the current management team. The satellite facility in Orangeburg was sold off by management and ACI has returned to its roots as a Portland based blending firm.

Associated Chemists now manufactures custom formulations and toll produces for customers throughout North America. Some products are sold globally through long established distributor relationships in the United States.
On May 1, 2012 Associated Chemists was acquired by Walker Industries.

Read the news release here.