Walker Industries 2014 Sustainability Report
Creating a Legacy with "Above & Beyond"
Over the past few years, Walker Industries has
experienced tremendous growth and change.
These changes are important in shaping our
future by creating a stronger more diverse
organization. The challenge with any type of
growth is to maintain and build on what has
made us successful — our value principles. In
July 2013, our executive team took time in
nature to reflect on their experiences with
Walker Industries and the legacy they wished
to leave. What resulted is our legacy statement:
With the legacy statement defined, we knew
our next step was to develop a program to align
all employees with the vision. Our employees
expressed the desire to:
- Connect to a larger corporate mission.
- Create a sense of belonging and a respectful,
- Improve communication within the organization.
- Provide more opportunities for development.
- Create a “value chain ecosystem” — a web of
relationships that encourage our employees,
customers and communities to feel part of
the Walker experience.
With these things in mind, the above & beyond
workshop was developed with the help of
Edge 3, a Toronto-based consulting firm. The
intention of the workshop was to create a forum
of respectful exchange, to align our employees
with the Legacy Statement and to nurture a
sense of belonging so that everyone feels valued
for their unique contributions.
The program provided an opportunity for
employee development. We requested volunteers
to help facilitate the roll out of the program.
Those volunteers, after a few train-the-trainer
sessions, have become our facilitators.
The workshop is unique and each employee
experiences it differently. The following is a list
of some of the feedback we have received so
Share this Page
- “I feel fortunate to work for an organization that
encourages people to do the right thing,
whether or not it gets recognized.”
- “I hope to see more active and meaningful
interactions and people giving recognition.”
- “I will continue working to the best of my ability
knowing how much I am appreciated at work.”
- “I will help foster positivity.”
- “[After the workshop] . . . workers related
to each other better.”