We are continuously inspired by our partners, communities and customers to create innovative solutions.
The world is changing faster than ever. That’s why we encourage our employees to transform challenges into opportunities and enable Walker to be a proactive and creative industry partner.
A HISTORY OF INNOVATIVE GROWTH
For over 130 years, we’ve been problem-solving; innovating before innovation was a recognized discipline. Right from the start, in the early 1900’s, we took waste from one man’s stone cut rubble and turned it into roads. Later, we researched and developed products to make those roads stronger through new emulsions chemistries and then continued to diversify to expand into new markets. We’ve tackled the critical issue of safe waste disposal head on and found ways to create clean energy in the process. How have we done all of this? We take the long view, looking for innovative solutions that work for everyone. It’s our legacy and our future.
INNOVATING TODAY FOR A SUSTAINABLE TOMORROW
Walker supports innovation by connecting employee ideas with project development expertise and resources.
We invest in game-changing concepts that will benefit our future and that of our communities. Creating innovative alternatives allows us to share our knowledge and drive change within our industries so that together we can make an impact. Here are some of the things we’re doing to facilitate meaningful change:
- Converting landfill gas into renewable energy used by neighbouring manufacturers and fed into the local grid through Integrated Gas Recovery Services Inc. (IGRS), our partnership with Comcor Environmental Limited.
- Generating renewable energy and nutrient-rich soil supplements through anaerobic digestion of fats, oils and greases collected through Walker Grease Trap Services.
- Partnering with industry leaders to divert railway ties and waste wood from landfill and creating sustainable fuel options that reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Piloting projects that repurpose materials bound for landfill such as mixing ground recycled asphalt shingles with aggregates to produce a more sustainable road base alternative.
- Committing to innovative remediation and rehabilitation of sites such as our Edgerock Vineyard on a rehabilitated portion of our Vineland Quarry.